Saturday, December 18, 2010

Canned Xmas gifts: pickled beets in a jar

Christmas is less then a week away,
and I bet that some of you, like me, are still struggling
to have all the shopping and the gift wrapping
and all the handmade gifts ready on time...

I always like to make some of my Christmas gifts,
as I've been telling you about lately,
but sometimes it doesn't come easy to mind
"what could I make for this person?".
Well... today I made something
I think it will be perfect for a couple of my gifts...
I remembered my mom used to make pickled beets
(which I just so much like)
and I happened to know that some recipients for my gift list
also really like pickled beets!
So... I spent part of this morning canning.


And I thought I would share it you,
maybe some of you can use this idea, right?
This is what you'll need:

- 2 cups of beets, thin sliced (or cut in small dices)
- 2 cups of sugar
- 2 cups of vinegar
- 2 cups of water
- 2 teaspoons of salt

This is how to do it:
Start by boiling the beets. Let cook till tender.
Strain and dip the beets in cold water after they're cooked.
Peel and thin slice (or dice if you'd prefer).
Set aside.
Combine the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
Add the sliced beets and bring it to a boil again.
Meanwhile, have your canning jars duly sterilized and ready.
Fill the jars with the beets, insert the lids and put them back  
in your canning pot till the water starts boiling again.
Remove the jars, seal and let cool.
Embellish the lid with a seasonal square of fabric,
a pretty ribbon and a gift tag,
and here it is:
a homemade delicious pickled beets jar!
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment