Saturday, March 13, 2010

A walk down memory lane... and fried sweet rings!

Fried sweet rings!
A couple days ago my sister Isabel commented on my post
about the fish souffle and she said she remembered it
and also the fried sweet rings I use to make many years ago.
What fried sweet rings?, I couldn't remember!
Not a clue! Nothing! Nada!
So she emailed me the recipe hopping it would come back to me...
So today I decided to give a try.
And while making the dough an image popped up in my brain:
the shape of a pretzel!...
Was that it?...
I still couldn't be sure...
so... when I talked to my son today and told him about all this,
 he said he also had that image (pretzel shape) on his brain...
and he said he also remembered the plastic container I used to carry them
(a famosa caixa amarela)...
All this made me think about how weird the human brain is...
why would she remember something
I used to make
and I didn't had a clue...?,
and why did I only remember the pretzel shape...?,
it makes you wonder, doesn't it? 
Oh well... it was a good thing... lol...
and I certainly have to thank her for all this (obrigadinho sister),
because the rings are really good!...lol...
tough the recipe she sent me it was not quite accurate, I had to adjust the portions as I was going.
Here it goes if anyone wishes to give it a try:
  • 10 Tablespoons flour
  • 1  Tablespoon sugar
  • 3 Tablespoons butter
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • orange zest (not on my sister's recipe, but it gives it a good taste)
  • sugar mixed with cinnamon to code after frying
Mix together flour, baking powder, sugar, butter (room temp) and egg yolk. Add a little bit of orange zest.
Using your hands knead the batter.
Take a small portion,
shape it into a roll,
and then twist into a pretzel shape.  
Heat cooking vegetable oil in a deep frying pan
(I used a medium sauce pan) and fry the pretzel shaped rings (5/6 at a time).
It's quite quick, about 30/40 seconds or so.
With a fork help the rings to turn and fry on the other side (just about 8/10 seconds).
Remove from oil and let it drain on a plate covered with paper towels.
Let it cool for a bit and then code them with the sugar/cinnamon mix.
 
Hmm...Hmm... they really are tasty and good!

Serve with a little Porto wine, and you're done!
Comfort food, the Portuguese way!

No comments:

Post a Comment