Sunday, April 18, 2010

Strip quilting, new curtains making and J's shower

Another week went by, and I didn't succeeded on my purpose
to publish my posts more often...
The truth of the matter is I keep really busy all week long,
more now than in winter time
because of all the outdoor work that has to be done.
Oh!, but I'm not complaining, no...
keeping busy is good, really good!

During the week we had several thunderstorms warnings
but never got any rain.
this post today
is really to let you know what's been going on...

So, a few time ago I started a new quilt,
it's called strip quilt and it's made very much the same way as a selvage quilt (I've been collecting the selvages for ever!,
but still didn't make anything with it).
I've been sewing the blocks and I'm still kinda playing with them,
rearranging the patterns to see which way to go...
Here's what I've got so far:

I'll show you when it's done.

Also this past week I received my fabric order for the new curtains.
Remember when I told about the curtains I've made that I didn't like very much?, I told you about it in this post here.
OK, so I decided it was the right time to make new ones
(ah!ah!, tax refund time!).
And I've been working on it too.
I will show you how they came about when I'm done.

Today was J shower day,
and I thought about showing you all a little bit
what it is like giving him a shower.
I do it every other two days
(remember I am totally on my own for all of his care).
I've started around 9:00 AM and finished around 1:00 PM
(from the moment I start getting things out to the moment I finish cleaning the bathroom, after J is totally done and ready back on his bed).
I get the lifter out,
get the shower chair ready and in position
and when is already rolled in the bathroom,
waiting on me to shave and shower,
I'll make the bed,
getting it done and ready for when we finish the shower
(I'll be showering him with my bathing suit on, 'cause I'll get totally wet).
As soon as he's finished and dry,
it's time to lift him back from the chair and into his bed.
The bed has a low air loss mattress system,
which has been terrific all these years
(J doesn't have any pressure ulcers, aka bed sores).
This is the little engine gadget that inflates and alternates the air in the mattress.
After he's back in the bed, I still have to do his trachea care, change wet dressings, roll him over again and again to get the sling from under him and then again to wash his back (which I can not do while in the shower since he's sitting on the chair), do the breathing treatment, and so on and so on...
After all that, have to clean the bathroom and do the laundry (3 loads every time).
And that's why it takes me 4 hours to shower J.
But let me tell you:
J loves all this routine,
and I would do it every single day if I could.

No comments:

Post a Comment