Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Wall hangings


Waking up and trying to decide what to do today.

See... my day-to day has been very much the same for the last five and so years. I've developed a daily routine and have to stick to it.


Every day I try to do something that pleases me, something pretty or useful, or whatever, but to do something.

That's part of my self prescribed treatment once I went into survival mode.






So...I´ve finished my Babuskha wall hanging and I just love it!(thank you http://weefolkart.com/ for your free patterns).




For the background I used small scraps and for the doll applique pattern used felt and did some embroidery for the face and chothes.




Since I was a little girl I have had a fascination with Russian dolls (which I recently learned are incorrectly called Babushkas, meaning grandmother or old lady or a certain type of headscarf that ties under the chin; the correct term for this type of dolls is Matryoshka dolls, meaning mother, and it's connected to fertility - therefor the Russian nesting dolls we all know).



Many years ago, when I wouldn't miss a single Festa do Avante (que saudades desses tempos onde os amigos habitavam e a alegria podia ser tão ingénua!), I bought one of these nesting Babushka Russian dolls which are the delight and fascination of grand kids when they come by.


For all of you Babushka lovers, http://www.etsy.com/ (just type in the search box the word babushka) has lots & lots of Babushka items.


And... besides my daily routine I've done nothing more than blogging... although so newbie to blogging I have to admit this is really addictive!


Oh well... I guess this will have to do for my pretty thing for today!

No comments:

Post a Comment